First of all, let me say that this fabric by LizzyHouse made my day the entire time whilst sewing. I’m definitely a dog person, but I love my kitties back home. I purchased this lovely 2.5m at The Workroom here in Toronto with the goal of entering the Catnap dress contest.
Sadly, I wanted to discover why the bust darts were giving me such a pouty, puffy trouble and I missed the deadline. At least I got a fantastic dress out of it!
I did a FBA on a muslin, but to my shock it was TOO big! After all the pattern drafting and adjusting I gave up and went with Megan’s pattern. This time around I did French seams at the side and managed to make it fit perfectly without the back ties! I still get a bit of dart problem, but mostly it’s unnoticeable.
Once the weather is warmer I will be sure to share some pictures of it being worn out of doors! I wore it yesterday and it was like it was my magical power. 🙂
Things I changed:
- Neckline: rounded it thanks to Holly’s tutorial here
- French seams at bodice waist (third picture from top)
- Bottom hem is only 1.5″ instead of the 2″ suggested
Things I love:
- The print! How could I not want to frolic around with dreaming cats?
- The neckline! It’s such a better fit for this dress for me as I am quite busty.
- I’m a sucker for dresses with pockets, The End.
Things I’d change/try next time:
- Keeping the neckline, but trying the dart cluster next time
- Lengthening the bodice for sure
- Not sewing my buttons and their counterparts by hand. It was worth it for this time and I have to do it one more time (old dress), but it was too much work.
- 2.5m of LizzyHouse Kitty Dreams in Cranberry
- single fold bias tape in fushia
- 12 3/4″ buttons